Monday, October 5, 2009

9/22/09 -9/23/09

I worked twice this week. Tuesday I worked with Heather in the morning. She needed a little help getting some revisions done for Kathy's approval. The revisions were all with the Summer 10 backpack line. I worked on those until after lunch where I then did my first sketch up of a backpack for Josh. I titled this design pack 1 because I'm not sure how they pick names for their new designs. I also knew Josh would have me doing 2 more designs the next day (pack 2&3). I enjoyed doing these 3 designs. I used Illustrator for the designs. I'm finding that a strong understanding of this program is key to this job. I don't know if I understand the processes used in making the products but by using Illustrator I can conceptualize the design, which might be more important at this point. I think to better understand the process of making a product I'd need to visit the manufacture...and I don't plan on visiting China soon. This brings up an important point though, I think its a good idea to have a close working relationship with the manufacturer to understand the limits on the design process. Limits mostly meaning the price to produce it. Most things can be produced but not always at a cost effective price. Understanding that the more you embellish your design the more it will cost and this plays a part in the market you might be targeting. Not many "skaters" will pay over a $100 for a backpack. 3 important factors to consider, 1. keeping in mind the budget while designing. 2. understanding what you're designing will cost. 3. Knowing the manufacturer, their limits and cost.
Anyways, back to my week. I guess on Wednesday I worked on the other 2 packs. I also did a basic outline for a beanie. At the end of the day Josh had me work with some labels. I was giving a bunch of packets that included approved label designs that had attached sew outs of those label. What I did was attach the sew out to a print out of the label. These print outs were then going to another manufacturer for competitive pricing. Its always good to look for the best deal! Before leaving that night Josh let me grab a few shirts from the sample been. Hook Up! Thanks Josh.

Vocabulary: PU - polyurethane. I feel like I should of known this one but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment