Sunday, October 11, 2009

10/06/09 - 10/07/09


This week was pretty much about the Puerto Rico SMU packs. I spent both days working on multiple designs and colorways for 2 different sized packs. The larger backpack was, for the most part, an allover print with a large "tree" logo applique on the top half and some sort of Element logo on the bottom pocket. I played around with colors and the allover print to come up with maybe 5 different designs with 3 colorways each. The smaller packs consisted of a logo placement with a screen print design. Again I came up with about 5 different designs with 3 colorways each. After finishing the designs I printed up what I had and then sat down with Josh to evaluate what I had come up with.
Josh was pretty up front with what I had. It was nice to get honest feedback. He said that I might be guilty with a common problem with most new designers and that was over designing. About half of my designs were scratched due to over designing. The other half needed to be to be changed due to improper logo usage or color tweaks. So back to the drawing board! I followed Joshes suggestions and by the end of Wednesday we had about 20 backpack designs to show the client. It will be fun to hear the feed back from the client. Attached is one of the backpacks that was initially over designed as well as having an old logo that couldn't be used...but I liked it and thought I'd show it.

Vocabulary: Tech Pack, a.k.a. Cad - A file (usually .ai) that details the design, specs, and colors of a certain product.
Matrix - A file (excel) that has a run down of the products dimensions, notions, fabric and other information needed to make product.

1 comment:

  1. I don't get what's over designed about it. but whatev...

    ReplyDelete