Monday, September 28, 2009

9/08/09


First day! Maybe not what I thought it would be. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, perhaps I got the feeling that this is just another computer job, not as "hands on" as I might of expected.
When I first arrived I met with the HR lady over at Billabong and signed a few release forms and received a sign in number for keeping track of my hours. I then met up with Josh and he showed me around the place a little and got me situated on a computer. Most of the design process takes place with Adobe Illustrator. Josh had me open a few files to get an idea of what a finished design looks like. There seems to be 3, maybe 4, different types of file names for one product, depending on what stage its in. I'm still a little unclear on the differences but the names I'm getting for the files are Tech Pack, Matrix, Cads, and then maybe a basic sketch up. There's sub files sometimes attached that give examples of patterns at scale. Anyways, as I learn more about the differences I'll be sure to make a note of it. Josh had me open and work with some hat designs.
For lunch Josh showed me around Irvine a little and then we ate at a Peruvian food place, first time and pretty good. I got to know Josh a little better. He has background in graphic design, has been working with Element for about 3 years and has a 5 month old baby. I get the feeling that he will be a good mentor for this Internship.
After lunch one of Elements team riders, Levi Brown came in looking to have a hat made up. Josh introduced me and we talked about what kind of hat he was looking for. Josh then had me play with some sizing of an Element logo for the hat. The finished product should be pretty killer. Before taking off I played around with a belt design.

No comments:

Post a Comment